Michigan lutheran dating network
Britain ceded this territory to the newly independent United States after Britain's defeat in the American Revolutionary War.The area was part of the larger Northwest Territory until 1800, when western Michigan became part of the Indiana Territory.The Lower Peninsula is often noted as being shaped like a mitten. P.") is separated from the Lower Peninsula by the Straits of Mackinac, a five-mile (8 km) channel that joins Lake Huron to Lake Michigan. The state has the longest freshwater coastline of any political subdivision in the world, being bounded by four of the five Great Lakes, plus Lake Saint Clair.The area was first occupied by a succession of Native American tribes over thousands of years.Jesuit missionaries were well received by the area's Indian populations, with few difficulties or hostilities. Main articles: French and Indian War, Treaty of Paris (1763), Province of Quebec (1763–1791), Indian Reserve (1763), American Revolutionary War, Treaty of Paris (1783), Northwest Ordinance, and Northwest Territory In 1701, French explorer and army officer Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac founded Fort Pontchartrain du Détroit or "Fort Pontchartrain on-the-Strait" on the strait, known as the Detroit River, between lakes Saint Clair and Erie.In 1679, Robert Cavelier, Sieur de la Salle built Fort Miami at present-day St. In 1691, the French established a trading post and Fort St. Cadillac had convinced King Louis XIV's chief minister, Louis Phélypeaux, Comte de Pontchartrain, that a permanent community there would strengthen French control over the upper Great Lakes and discourage British aspirations.French attempts to consolidate the fur trade led to the Fox Wars involving the Meskwaki (Fox) and their allies versus the French and their Native allies.At the same time, the French strengthened Fort Michilimackinac at the Straits of Mackinac to better control their lucrative fur-trading empire.
After France's defeat in the French and Indian War in 1762, the region came under British rule.The three nations co-existed peacefully as part of a loose confederation called the Council of Three Fires.The Ojibwe, whose numbers are estimated to have been between 25,000 and 35,000, were the largest.The town quickly became a major fur-trading and shipping post.The Église de Saint-Anne (Church of Saint Ann) was founded the same year.